Friday, September 9, 2011

Friday R.A.P.-up!

It's Random Act of Publicity week*, so I'm joining in with some love for a Chapter Book series that I've recently read and loved: IVY + BEAN, by Annie Barrows, illustrated by Sophie Blackall. (Sorry for the lack of pictures and links; my right-click popup menu, which I use to do things like copy URLs, isn't working for some reason right now. I'm hoping this computer breaks for good soon so I can justify the expense of buying a Mac.)

Things I Love: Ivy and Bean aren't girly girls, and their adventures will appeal to boys as much as to girls. Speaking as the mother of two boys, this is a major plus. Also, I could see the punch line coming, but it was in a delicious anticipation kind of way, not a oh-no-this-is-supposed-to-be-a-surprise-and-the-author-didn't-hide-it-well kind of way. I actually giggled while I was reading this. Out loud. In front of other people! I love books like this, and there just aren't enough of them around.

This is not your run-of-the-mill, book-packaged chapter book. It demonstrates attention to detail, dedication to the emotional truth of the seven-year-old mind and heart, and excellent writing. You need to read this book, and then you need to give it to a kid you know.

Find it in your local independent bookstore, or online at chapters.indigo.ca in Canada or amazon.com in the US.

What book have you read lately and loved?

*You thought I was going to post a vlog of myself rapping, didn't you? Bide your time, my pretties. We'll get to that eventually.


EDITED TO ADD: This is the last day for my US readers to enter to win a copy of Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow by Nathan Bransford! I can't paste a link because my computer is having issues, but if you look in my archives in the sidebar, you should find it in the list of August entries. Happy entering, and good luck!

2 comments:

  1. My daughter loved the Ivy and Bean series! We read the first ones together, then she took off reading them on her own. I still remember us hysterically laughing out loud. "Prepare to meet your doom!"

    The book I just read and loved is Cleopatra's Moon, a YA historical just released in August. I can't stop raving about it, and this is the final day to win a free, signed copy at the YA Fusion blog: http://yafusion.blogspot.com/search/label/Vicky%20Alvear%20Shecter

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you managed to do this after all, nice one! I still haven't read Ivy & Bean. Get me to a library quick. Have a great weekend Ishta!

    ReplyDelete