Friday, December 17, 2010

Friday Favorites: Books We Read This Year

After today, there are only two Fridays left in the year! Only TWO!


So, let's do a roundup of best books. Some of the best books I read this year, in the order in which I read them, were:

ZORGAMAZOO, MG, by Robert Paul Weston, which I loved for the sheer audacity of writing a novel in verse and pulling it off, and also for the zany wackiness of the story itself;

THE ODDS GET EVEN, MG, by Natale Ghent, for its timeless feel, so rare in novels today;

FEED, YA, by M. T. Anderson, which was right on the money for where it looks like we're headed even though it was published almost a whole decade ago, and which is set in a world so complete and real it feels like I'm already there;

THE CITY OF EMBER, MG, by Jeanne DuPrau, which is gripping and mysterious and which has the most perfect ending.





As always, there are even more great books I've read this year that aren't in this list, but these books here are works of art. Be sure to read them if you haven't already.

Now it's your turn. What are some of the best books you've read this year?

5 comments:

  1. Feed is one of my all-time faves. I was turned inside out this year by The Marbury Lens, but I wouldn't advise everybody read it because of the horrifying parts. But if you're feeling up to it, the book is riveting and unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Ishta, as you know I love Zorgamazoo and The Odds get Even. I have to add Jody Hedlund's book The Preacher's Bride, total page turner; The River by Patricia Wastvedt; and The Secret Garden by Kate Morten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia, THE MARBURY LENS is on my TBR list - I'm moving it up the list now after your recommendation!

    Kangaroobee, I haven't heard of any of your recommendations - I read a book called THE SECRET GARDEN by Frances Hodgson Burnett as a child, but that isn't the same book you're talking about. I'll check them out!

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been curious about City of Ember for a while. It's in my TBR. :)

    ReplyDelete