Friday, September 3, 2010

Friday Favorites: Kids' TV

Some of you know that I write (at least, I try to write) across a range of age groups and genres, from concept to quirky, from contemporary to paranormal, and from picture book to YA (and most things in-between). Alongside that, I read a lot, but I also watch a lot of TV.

I have very logical, very writing- and acting-related reasons for watching TV - I do! But they are for another post. Since this is Friday Favorites, today's post is about my favorite TV shows. And I feel a little goofy admitting this, but...

'The Backyardigans' is one of my favorite shows. (sheepish grin)


(And check out those awesome cupcakes by Ana Fuji - my kids would probably murder me if it meant they could have just one of those.  Hell, if I were one of my kids, I would probably murder me for one of those.  Or at the very least pester me to death.)

The storylines manage to be interesting and compelling to kids while maintaining a generally benign feel (as in 'Blazing Paddles,' when the "villain" was a ping-pong paddle-hoarding ping-pong shark), they are clever (with take-offs on classics like Blazing Saddles, Star Trek, and Mission Impossible), and each episode has a different musical theme, from Bollywood to rock anthem to 20's swing. Each character is well-developed and distinct, with his or her own personality quirks. And, it's hilarious. If you write picture books - or even chapter books - you need to check this show out.

So, yeah. I get my kicks watching a quintet of computer generated animals shake it. In Technicolor. Sometimes with popcorn.  *ahem*

I have other favorite shows, but they'll have to wait for another Friday. In the meantime, the floor is yours. Do you like 'The Backyardigans'? What are your favorite shows?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen that show, but I do love some shows that I watch with my kids. Naruto and Avatar: The Last Airbender come to mind. Those cupcakes DO look awesome!

    Today's guest blogger is Emilia Plater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of either of those shows, but I'll check them out. Thanks for sharing! (And, yeah... My breakfast is looking pretty pathetic right now with those cupcakes staring back at me.)

    ReplyDelete